Skip to main content

Freedom of Information

How to make a Freedom of Information request

Freedom of Information requests to the Judicial Office are managed centrally via the Ministry of Justice.

There is no right of access under the Freedom of Information Act to information contained in court records, which is an absolute exemption under Section 32 (Court Records) of the Act. If you are a party to proceedings you should contact the court directly and apply for the court records under the appropriate procedure rules.

The Judicial Office already provides a range of information and before considering making a request, you should try searching this website using the search box or sitemap.

Alternatively, if you are unable to find what you are looking for, you can make a request by filling in this online form:

or by writing to:

Data Access and Compliance Unit
Postal Point 10.31, Floor 10
102 Petty France

Please be as specific as possible about the information you are seeking to obtain, such as by providing a specific timeframe to assist staff in locating the information (for example, January 1999 to October 2000). Being specific in your request also makes it less likely it will be turned down on cost grounds (see Guide to Fees).

The law recognises that there will be some information that we need to protect and keep confidential, for example, personal information. You should be aware that some of the information you request may be exempt from disclosure and that in some circumstances, the Judicial Office may be unable to confirm or deny whether the information is held. When that happens, the Judicial Office will tell you which of the exemptions from disclosure is being applied and the reason why. You have the right to appeal these decisions and to have them investigated (see ‘What if I am unhappy with the response?’) (link to below).

What can I do if I am unhappy with the response I am given?

As part of our obligations under the Freedom of Information Act, we have an independent review process. If you are dissatisfied with the response you received, you can request an internal review which will be carried out by someone who was not involved in the original decision. They will reassess how the organisation handled your original request.

If you wish to request an internal review, please make a request in writing or by emailing us within two months of receipt of our letter to you:

Data Access and Compliance Unit
Postal Point 10.34, Floor 10
102 Petty France

If you remain dissatisfied with the internal review decision, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office under Section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act. The Information Commissioner is independent and will investigate your complaint with a view as to whether the Judicial Office has applied the law correctly in your case. You can contact the office at:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Source of information: