Find answers to your questions below:

Is there any cost to me or my firm?

The scheme is free of charge, but participants must cover their travel and subsistence costs.

Where can I find my membership number of the relevant professional body?

Most participating professional bodies provide their members with a unique membership number which can usually be found on your practising certificate. Alternatively, members can contact the relevant professional body directly to find out their number.

What should I do if I need to cancel my placement?

Please contact your local judicial shadowing administrator immediately, whose contact details are set out in your acknowledgement letter, to inform them that you are unable to attend. It may not be possible to rearrange the date of your placement within a reasonable time and, in these circumstances, you may be asked to reapply.

I am a CPS lawyer, can I still participate?

The Judicial Work Shadowing Scheme gives eligCPS lawyers can participate in the scheme, but should be aware of a potential conflict of interest. In these cases, we recommend that participants shadow a judge on a different circuit to their home circuit.

I am a law student/graduate, can I still apply for the scheme?

Unfortunately, you are unable to participate in our scheme as it is only open to legal practitioners with a minimum of seven years’ post-qualification experience. Some courts or tribunals may offer the opportunity to undertake marshalling, but opportunities vary from region to region. You will need to contact courts and tribunals directly to find out more information. Some Inns of Courts also offer marshalling.

I am not a British citizen, but have practiced law in the UK for several years, can I apply for the scheme?

To be eligible for our scheme, you must be a citizen of Britain, the Republic of Ireland or a Commonwealth country and a member of the relevant professional body in the UK.

How can I avoid conflict of interest?

You can shadow a judge on a different circuit to your home circuit to avoid conflict of interest.

Which professional bodies offer CPD points for work shadowing and how do I claim the points?

All the professional bodies, except the Bar Council, offer CPD points to all participants work shadowing under the scheme. The various professional bodies each award a different number of CPD hours for work shadowing. Please check with your professional body for the latest information on CPD hours.

I want to apply for a judicial appointment, where can I find more information?

The Judicial Appointments Commission (external link, opens in a new tab)  carries out the selection exercises for judicial appointments. Please see its website for more information about the appointments process, and current and forthcoming selection exercises. You can also subscribe to their monthly newsletter to be informed regularly of forthcoming outreach events and selection exercises.